Gingivitis & Periodontal Disease
Are your gums swollen? Are they bright red? Do your gums bleed, even when you brush them gently?
If so, our Montreal Dentists say that you just may be suffering from gingivitis or periodontal disease.
What are Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease?
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums caused by bacteria. The bacteria is related to the accumulation of plaque and tartar. It may or may not be painful.
If over time, the bacteria eat away at the bone supporting the root of your teeth, you end up with periodontal disease, also known as periodontitis. In severe cases, you may even lose your teeth!
Symptoms of Gingivitis:
- Bleeding gums after brushing teeth
- Red appearance surrounding the teeth
Symptoms of Periodontal Disease:
- Bad breath
- Red, inflamed gums that are sensitive to the touch
- Bright red or red-purple appearance to gums
- Gums that are tender when touched, but otherwise painless
- Mouth sores
- Swollen gums
- Shiny appearance to gums
Causes – Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease
The main cause of gingivitis is hygiene.
Common causes of periodontal disease include:
- Deficient immune system as a result of Diabetes, AIDS, Leukemia, thyroid problems
- Certain medications
- Poor diet (including eating too much sugar)
- Vitamin C or B3 deficiency
- Bad habits (nail biting, clenching or grinding your teeth, smoking)
- Poorly aligned teeth
- Poorly fitted mouth appliances (i.e.: retainers or crowns)
If periodontal disease is not treated quickly it can become more severe, leading to the possible loss of your teeth. Additionally, gingivitis is completely reversible with improved hygiene.
Do you have symptoms of gingivitis or periodontal disease? If so, be sure to consult us without delay. Our experienced team at Clinique Dentaire Rosemont will diagnose your condition and provide you with a customized treatment plan.
Simply contact us today: